Skip to main content

Rock isn't Dead

The more I learn about music and pop culture history the more absurd the "rock is dead" myth is.

Why do I think rock is not dead? Ok, well, if rock is dead, why do generations still continue to listen to it? Why do young people still fall in love with band like the Beatles and led Zeppelin generation after generation? Even though for example the Beatles are broken up, they still continue to sell greatest hits albums that out sell contemporary acts. Also there albums in the past (Sgt pepper for going platinum for example) STILL hold records to this day.

If rock is dead, how come these songs are now standards? How come the artists who wrote these songs like Joel and Simon and McCartney are revered at poets even to this day?

Music empowers people like religion. When John Lennon made the "Beatles are bigger than Jesus
comment...he was actually right. Culturally, they pretty much were. Music is played at places of worship and during it, it is the expression of pure joy. Music being the religion, religion being something that we can relate to and that makes us feel unified. Hence fan groups being like cults.

As human beings we all long for a sense of unity...a place to belong. Our people. Comic Con, our 'Cheers', game stores, where ever you feel a sense of comradeship. Music provides this, which is why it fulfills that need for many. The unity of a generation, a place in time, a memory, a song sung in the car. Music is heavily tied to memory. Sometimes we prevent ourselves from listening to a certain song. I call this "blacklisting" a song for bothering you. I usually make an effort to un-blacklist blacklisted songs...in an effort to get over my mental hang ups. I don't want to prevent myself from hearing an awesome song, too!

Nothing makes me feel better then music. Nothing has such a soul as music. And rock and roll still beats strong. If you check it's vital signs...everything points to alive.

When I was a teenager I liked the Beatles and Rolling Stones (and way more) and sported their shirts. People would say.."aren't you a little young to like this band?/They were around before you were born." I always rolled my eyes. I didn't see what that had to do with *anything*.

I think I excited the older folks when I was younger, they saw that rock was still alive and still loved. (Even all these years later, even though the artists are old and grey if not dead). I didn't get it at the time, but now I do.

I have a young friend, who mirrors me almost perfectly at that same age. It's exciting to see that cycle continue. It's a wonderful time of discovery. I probably changed more then, than any other time in my life. Rock and roll blew my mind. And I see that going on again...in my young friend.

So if you say rock and roll is dead....
I say you are wrong!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused