Skip to main content

Why I hate Macs



People are always perplexed why I hate Macs.

I do not only hate them because they are trendy, I have lots of reasons. Allow me to indulge myself.

Right now I am at school, on a Mac. I am a graphic designer and have been editing movies on Macs since I was 14. Even then I hated Macs. I've also been designing websites for ten years, and I hate Safari. Just to specify before we begin, I am not computer illiterate. I am however, annoyed.


REASONS I HATE MACS

#1 As a designer who has at least a few applications open at a time (the internet, photoshop, text edit) I like the ability to shrink down screens. On Macs you are permanently in the program. You can't shrink it down. So looking for the desktop is a hapless clicking search. Yes, I know about Command H, which "can" take you back to the desktop...but not if your inside a program. So it only works for web.

#2 All functions that are obvious and "one buttoned" are all screwed up on the Mac. Example; Print Screen. On a PC it's just a simple button, that says PRINT SCREEN. On a Mac, it's a completely un-guessable. It's not on the keyboard, inf act you have to look it up on the internet to know how to do it. It's 3 keys on the keyboard you have to press in unison to even get print screen. While PCs again have one button you need to press! BUT WAIT it's not over yet! Once you HIT the awkward command option 4 you still have to select the screen itself. How is making once simple keyboard functions more difficult making a computer better? That is just one example.

#3 USB ports on Macs need to be ejected before they can be taken out or they might get damaged. On a PC you can simply pop your usb port in and out with ease and without damage. On Macs you have to un-intuitively drag the USB down to the Trash before you can properly eject it...or again...it may get damaged. Again, who would ever figure that?

#4 Right clicking. Computer mouses are built in with a right click function. Right click is so important for saving text and links, and copying and pasting images. On Macs, the mouse isn't "right clickable" until you make it so. A mouse is built to be left and right clickable. Why would you make it so that we have to go all the way to System Preferences when it should be doing it anyway!

#5 The Dock is annoying. This is another one of those gotta mess with the settings issues. The dock also gets in the way of designing. On PCs, it's off in the bottom segment and you can't go past it. On Macs, if you're working on a graphic and erasing pixels you will risk hitting the dock (especially if you're doing detailed work)...and will suddenly open up an application (because again, the programs all take up the entire screen for the most part, so they go beyond the dock). My first thought was to resize my canvas but then I can't see everything. So while designing on the Mac during a detailed project I accidentally click on the dock all the time. My classmates and I go "Whoops, I was editing and I accidentally opened Flash again."

#6 Zune's totally pwn ipods. Why you ask? Let me tell you! On a Zune, you can have any audio format, not so on an ipod. The Zune marketplace is way more vast and fun then iTunes. Zune's are more customizable, you can even set the look of your zune and name it. It's a much more fun and intimate experience instead of the classic stale white ipod. Not to mention ipods take you right back to the "main main" (album artists podcasts) menu when the artist or album is done. While Zune's leave you with the artist you left off on, in alphabetical order. So the last artist you heard it now highlighted on the menu of artists...how logical. Also, the PC can use Zune or iTunes or whatever, but Macs only have iTunes! Zune's and PCs are cheaper than Macs and iPods. Especially with iPods, you are paying for what's trendy. Apple has such a tiny piece of the market while Microsoft owns the rest..they don't need to advertise. The iPod is about 40-60% more expensive than technologically equal products. Buy a iPod you are paying for trend. So to recap, PCs are better than Macs, Zunes are better than iPods and even Androids are better than iPhones.  There are numerous links with reviews, don't take it from me...go take a look.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/10_things_android_does_better_iphone


#7 Um hi, Macs do less stuff than PCs. The PC has more games, applications, MORE things work on a PC. I don't even need to mention about Gamers, modding, Linux and Unix. Oh and Macs are retarded when it comes to Flash...another horrible issue for me as a designer! Also, you can't restart a Mac.

I think Macs are absurd, and I will never buy one. Using a Mac is like voluntarily slamming my fingers in a car door.


I thought what true nerds did was do research and buy the best product for the money. But nowadays nerds are just being Apple's biotch because they are victims to trend and advertising. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused