Skip to main content

"Too much"


These days most of us can agree that things have become "too much." For example, Facebook.

Facebook started simple and effective but Mark Zuckorberg decided to throw the ""If it aint broke, don't fix it" logic out the window. Now Facebook has what a lot of my friends say "Too much". Too much privacy changes, too much aesthetic changes; confusing something that already worked fine. In fact, because Facebook is "too much" people are migrating towards Google +. This has happened before. It happened with Myspace, which I liked the best out of all the social networking sites I used. It changed when it didn't need to perhaps just to keep up with the competition. Well, that's the same reason Facebook has cited for making it's changes. Ironically, like Myspace, Facebook is digging it's own grave. Things like this happen all the time, especially in pop culture history.

Madonna, she has always changed and evolved...no doubt changing and evolving to stay relevant in popular culture. In popular culture, it is really easy to be over exposed; that would be my major complaint with pop music. It's not just on the radio and on the tv, it is inevitable that you will hear it and it is inevitable you will get annoyed with it. Too much exposure to things, even things we enjoy can make us sour to those things.

For example many people are irritated with Justin Bieber right now. He is everywhere, his image is everywhere, and his music sucks. We live in a time where we are saturated with the media, we can all agree. I was born in the MTV generation, so as far I know...that's the way it's always been. But I do remember a time when there were only previews before a movie when you went to see one in a theater. It was only in my later high school years that they started to add car commercials and repetitive Coca Cola spots. I feel like every year they sneak something new in. And it's all for the sake of advertising.

Although Madonna has changed and evolved through the years, she really isn't "relevant" anymore. I argue both sides of this argument with people, because I think her influence is out there to some degree. If you asked me to compare it to Bowie's, I would say he wins this round. Bowie was the original icon for the gay community. He spanned more than just music genres, but he was and still is the martyr of androgyny. Recently I am starting to get the "too much" feeling with Lady Gaga. I talk about her a lot, in a positive and sometimes ridiculing way. She is everywhere right now, and everyone is a fan of her. Much like Madonna in the 80's, the only difference...the internet. That makes it a lot harder to avoid and a lot easier to see things going on in pop culture. Lady Gaga has become the new "gay icon". Kind of like the saying my Professor told me "I don't know anybody who sells coffee but doesn't drink it." I find it a little funny. I can't disagree with her fighting for gays right to marry, but I really don't see her as being any kind of gay icon.

Not only is her music and image everywhere, and every person I meet seems to be some sort of guilty fan, but she has started moving over into the rock and roll arena. Not really in the musical sense, which I would like to see. She is the Godmother of Elton John's son, she has hung out with Alice Cooper, Stevie Wonder, and just last night she sang on stage with Sting. I'm self ware enough to admit that it is due to jealousy to some degree. But she is still a pop music new comer, and I just can't get behind her. My chief complaint: Let's get real, she copies Bowie way too much. I feel like every image I see of her is almost a direct copy of something Bowie or someone else did. Whenever I hear one of her songs I think "Haven't I heard this song before?" I indeed have, because it sounds just like another song. That's what I can't get behind.

The real kicker is these songs that I heard already that Lady Gaga sounds like came out not all that long ago. 30-25 years ago, and in many cases less than 20. In essence, all these "little Monsters" (mostly high school age) are seeing and hearing what she is doing and they think it is original. That is my problem with Lady Gaga in popular culture.

And it's everywhere.

I don't think it would bother me so much if it wasn't everywhere. We live in the time of too much. Too much ads, too much fatty food, too much radiation, too much synthesized music, too much in our faces and in our minds. Sometimes I feel a sensory overload and absolutely must avoid my computer for reasons of sanity.

That is why I love rock and roll. It's raw and real, and isn't over done. Rock and roll is emotional, and that's why people take it so seriously. Sometimes I feel like nobody feels the same way I do about it. Some people I meet have a very "music is ok" mentality. My response would be "music is my life." I take it very seriously. Much the way an Evangelical Christian would take seriously his faith in God. Often, I am luckily reminded that other people like me exist. There are other people who are so emotionally invested in rock and roll that becomes a religion in itself.

In a time where everything seems so fake, is too big, too much, it makes me extra nostalgic and in love with my rock and roll. Rock and roll, like punk, is a mentality. Rock and roll is authentic, and so am I.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused