Skip to main content

Why I can only date someone who is into classic rock


When I first meet a guy there are usually a few questions I like to ask right off the bat. The most important one is "What is your favorite band?" To be fair, I ask everyone this question. But when you're a guy I might fancy I am going to be way more critical of this. To me this is a very important question, standing besides "Do you like animals?" and "Do you believe in God?" and other moral essentials. I'm an animal loving Atheist, and it is easier for me to date Mormon who is allergic to cats than it is for me to date someone who listens to Pitbull, Coldplay, or Katy Perry. Don't even get me started on Nickleback. According to internet dating polls, I am not the only one with this issue, a person's music choice determines their dating potential.

Let's face it, some of our interests can be telling of our values. The type of music communicates a lot about you. From a guy's music taste I can tell whether he is liberal, open minded, or socially aware. When I meet a guy who likes shitty music, I assume his personality is shitty. If his tastes are phony and lame, I assume he is too. Guys who like rock music are hotter than guys who listen to country, I'm sorry. This study "Effects of Associating with Musical Genres on Heterosexual Attraction" supports my theory.

"Disclosure of musical preference was found to influence heterosexual attraction as well as the perception and evaluation of pertinent traits. Men were more strongly attracted to women with whom they shared musical tastes than to women with whom they did not. "

I try to not be a judgmental jerk when it comes to music preference. Everybody can't like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Ramones and the rest. I like it that way anyway. But when they are not into something I am heavily into, it's going to be hard for me to get into them. Whenever I ask the question "What is your favorite band?" I have always gotten an interesting response.

"I don't really like music."    Then I don't like you. C'mon, who doesn't like music?
"I don't have one, I like a lot of different music."    Fair enough, but I like specifics. 
"________ is my favorite band."    He knows what he likes, cool.
"The Beatles."    You're in.

When I hear crappy music it makes me cringe. I have a strict policy that I will not dance to music I do not like. On the flip side, I can't help dancing to music I love. To me the bulk on contemporary music is phony and over produced. I do not understand why someone would like it. I have tried to date guys with different music taste in the past, and it never lasted long. If I can't stand his music and he doesn't get mine, how is it ever going to work?

"It's no good pretending that any relationship has a future if your record collections disagree violently or if your favorite films wouldn't even speak to each other if they met at a party."- Nick Hornby (High Fidelity)

I found a fascinating article in Men's Health blog  called "Does music taste matter in the relationship?"

"If you met a girl with completely opposite tastes—she likes Nickelback, while you’re a fan of … good music—how long could you date her before breaking it off? “It’s not so much the music that may be a problem in the relationship, but the fact that music is symptomatic of much deeper values, attitudes, and dispositions, which would then be a problem.”
This article "Can Bad Taste in Music Ruin a Relationship?: Scientific Study Finds Music Predicts Sexual Attraction" put it very well
"Music functions as a 'badge' people use to not only judge others but at the same time, to express their own self-concepts. The kid who wants to appear rebellious picks music that seems like it's made by people who rebel. The kid who wants to belong picks music that appears to be made by people who are accepted. Etc. Ultimately, we all want to belong, and choose a peer group where we feel at home. Music helps us to figure out which peer group we best belong to."
And this is just too good not to share "Survey Reveals Nickelback as Biggest Musical Turnoff, Justin Bieber Close Second"

"If you’re a fan of the music of Nickelback or Justin Bieber it may be best not to mention it on a first date – at least according to a survey carried out by Tastebuds.fm, the UK-based dating site which uses music taste to match singles. With thousands of music fans signed up, the website is in a unique position to find out which artists are most likely to dampen desires. The site - also responsible for the study that revealed fans of Coldplay are least likely to go all the way on a first date - asked their members to name up to 12 bands whose music they couldn't stand. Over 1,600 users responded, with Nickelback and Justin Bieber leading the nominations by a sizeable margin."

And there you have it folks, there is such thing as crappy music and taste does matter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused