Skip to main content

When did rock and roll become "a guy's thing"?

Beatles jean jacket I found in the guys section at Ross

 Recently I was at a department store with a friend looking at apparel. We were browsing the store when I noticed something. There are rock t-shirts in the guys section, but not in the girls. I started to think to myself "Why?" if you are over in the girls section everything is colorful frilly and even flowery.  I consider most of those clothes too feminine and something I'd rarely wear. T-shirts are unisex. I've always been a t-shirt and jeans kind of person, and I felt it achieved both comfort and good style. Not to mention, I'm a legit rock fan and feel proud wearing my rock shirts.

 I started to pay attention, and noticed this was the case at most corporate department stores. In the past few years, living in the San Francisco Bay I've had no shortage of head shops with affordable t-shirts. I've been in my Berkeley bubble for a while, and forget that (like in the suburbs) department stores are one of the few places to find rock t-shirts. I grew up in suburbia where all we had was corporate chains and all I had was Hot Topic. But I grew up moved away and that changed. Maybe I'm not in chain stores much, or maybe I just didn't notice until now. Upon reflection I realized I got most of my rock t-shirts and jackets in the guys section.

Much like in the real world, the rock world has 

moments of "women can't do that." 


 Believe it or not just like disparaging comments about women in the work force I have also heard about women in rock. I've heard "women can't rock at the guitar like men do." I had to set that guy straight. Ability to play guitar is not a gender thing, it breaks down to passion, ability and talent. None of those things have to do with what's between your legs. Check out this article about Infuriating Things People Say to Women Musicians. It elaborates on my point about women in music and people's perceptions.

 Going to many rock concerts over the years I would hear remarks from guys saying girls go to concerts "just to hook up." I couldn't disagree with that more. When it gets down to it, I can only speak for myself when saying when I go to a rock show it is about THE ARTIST and the music experience. If there is any "guy I'm gonna be interested in" it's gonna be the guy(s) on stage. Just being real. I've also heard female musician friends lament that people think they are groupies when they are IN the band. Sometimes I hate how [some] guys think that every place in the world is just a pick up scene. It feels like it is discrediting real fans. Why are female rock artists and even female rock fans taken so less seriously? Really this bronze age attitude is prevalent in a lot of things, like in Geek Culture for example.

 Anybody who thinks women can't rock obviously haven't heard Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Nancy Wilson, and a BUNCH of others. Girls can rock just as much as guys, and girls can be passionate rock fans without being a groupie (and if they are, so what).

For additional reading, check out this article: Why My 9-Year-Old Daughter Shops for Clothes in the Boys' Section

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused