Skip to main content

The Who Vs One Direction Battle of the bands on Twitter


About a week ago One Direction and Who fans took to Twitter where they started a music war. This was on the coat tails of One Direction's latest song "Best Song Ever", which many have been claiming sounds just like The Who's "Baba O'Riley." When this news popped up about the song sounding like Baba, I had to have a listen. And sure enough, just like many things One Direction seem to do, it sounded just like it. Ever since the emergence of One Direction they've been doing nothing but ripping off other bands. They started off with The Ramones and The Beatles, stealing their logo out right. I remember seeing that mess right after it happened. I even contacted Arturo Vega, creator of the Ramones logo. Sadly, he died of cancer not long after.


 But it didn't stop at logo stealing, they also took bits from songs much in the way that Vanilla Ice copied "Ice Ice Baby." That was uncomfortable enough, but their teenie bopper fans took to the retail stores to buy Ramones shirts. Not because they like the Ramones, but because they want to look like or please Harry Styles, One Direction's heart throb. A wave of disturbance shot through the classic rock and punk rock communities. But even that wasn't the end of the shit storm.

 Finally on Twitter recently, Who and 1D fans went back and forth fighting who is better and who will be remembered. I admittedly did not read many of the comments, because my opinion on this is pretty clear. Not only did I not want to rile myself up, but I didn't want to waste time on arguing on the internet. Don't get me wrong, it IS annoying. But I know One Direction stands no chance against the Who in any form. So I'm not threatened at all.

 Here's a funny thing that I don't tell many people: I used to be one of those teenage girls who liked a boy band. I really didn't like their music, I just thought they were a bunch of cute boys. In Jr High I was in love with Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boys. In my honest opinion, my hormones were racing, and I was confused. I didn't know what good taste was yet. That may sound harsh, but in retrospect that's what it was. Then one day I grew up and found rock and roll, left boy bands in the dust.

 Finally, Pete Townshend himself chimed in on this battle of the bands. I was happy to see that, but disappointed with his response. This is what he said:
“No! I like the single. I like One Direction. The chords I used and the chords they used are the same three chords we’ve all been using in basic pop music since Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran and Chuck Berry made it clear that fancy chords don’t mean great music – not always. I’m still writing songs that sound like Baba O’Riley – or I’m trying to!. It’s a part of my life and a part of pop’s lineage. One Direction are in my business, with a million fans, and I’m happy to think they may have been influenced a little bit by The Who. I’m just relieved they’re all not wearing boiler suits and Doc Martens, or Union Jack jackets. The funniest thing is that in Canada this year I met with Randy Bachman once the leader of GUESS WHO who told me that he not only copied Baba O Riley for their hit You Ain’t Seen Nothing Yet, but he even called his band after us. Why would I not be happy about this kind of tribute?” 
First, I'd like to point out that "You aint seen nothing yet" is by Bachman Turner Overdrive, not The Guess Who. The Guess Who did "American Woman" for reference. Also, I certainly know how all music is linked and in a sense carried on from another. But what One Direction has been doing has been blatant copying and stealing. It bothers me because it signifies lack of creativity, soul, and it makes me sad to such see rampant rip offs this day and age. I guess you could say I'm used to it, (again, Vanilla Ice) but I don't like it. Make your own logos, create your own songs! I don't think that is asking a lot. The most sad thing in the end, is that these teenage girls think these guys are pop innovators.

 Little do these girls know, their fandom has a shelf life, and it's already almost done running it's course. Pop music comes and goes, rock and roll is immortal. In 20 years no one will know about One Direction, but everyone will still know about The Who. One Direction will never be Rock and Roll Hall of Famers, their music will plainly never be on the same level as The Who. This is why although I am irritated, I do not worry. And to all my fellow rock fans who got upset recently, I offer you a virtual hug and this message below...



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused