Skip to main content

All those streets you crossed, not so long ago: When Rock Stars die

 "Why are you so upset that [insert rock star's name here] died? You didn't even know them personally!"


This is something my mom said to me a handful of times when I was in High School. In about the 9th grade is when my music taste changed and took off into the hemisphere of rock and roll. When I got into an arist, I went all in. I wanted all their music, which I would loyally purchase from the local music store. I wanted to read their biographies and learn everything about them and their music. That is the kind of music fan I am. So when a rock star I follow and idolize dies, it feels like losing a friend or family member.

 Growing up, I took solace in rock and roll where it felt like my family in an extended way. Naturally, I cared about the people I admired for their work, and cared if they lived or died. If they were ill, I would wish them well, and once they recover, I cheer for that. So when they die, I of course find myself caring. Many times when I was a teen I was berated for being upset when one of them would die. To me, it made perfect sense, these people are my heroes...why wouldn't I care? Most folks get upset when a celebrity dies, so why doesn't mourning a rock star's death make sense?

 I remember very vividly in 2001 when Joey Ramone died, and later that year George Harrison died. In every single one of these instances (past and present) I woke up in the morning, turned on the tv/computer and saw the unfortunate news. It spoiled the rest of my day inevitably, and I'd go on automatic marathon play of their music. In High School was when people started to know me for being really into music. When George died my History teacher gave me some of his Beatles posters and art. I was very moved, as I'm sure he noticed how upset I was in class. My Art teacher literally said to me "If you want, I can send you home. Are you ok?"

 I stayed at school, upset and stunned. Upon returning home I'd play The Beatles until I passed out. My friends and teachers were pretty sympathetic to my sadness--but family members sure weren't. They had little to no tolerance of my fandom mourning, and my mom would often repeat the question "Why are you (so) upset?"

 Here's why, because they were a person. I may not of known them personally (and of course I would have liked to) but I was affected personally by their music. I am sad because they are gone, I feel bad for their loved ones, I'm upset because they wont be making any more music now and I will never get to meet them. It's upsetting because I was born too late and didn't get to see them live when they originally came out. It's upsetting to watch my idols age and die, straight up. I'm jealous of people 50+ who got to see these bands that changed my life. But all in all, I'm glad they existed so that we have them and their music forever. 



 I woke up this morning, just in the regular fashion, to the news that Lou Reed had died. I literally started yelling and pacing around my apartment, I only thing I could seem to say was "Nooooooo!" It's time like this where I like to really reach out to my fellow rock n roll fans, because we get what each other is going through. Other rock and roll fans get why I'm upset, and are upset themselves because they were also a fan of their music. When Davy Jones died a couple years ago (yikes) I got together with my fellow Davy fans to discuss him and mourn. It's an understandable thing for a fan to do, especially when their idol has bit the big one. As far as what I think caused Lou's death...it was that confusing collaboration "Lulu" with Metallica (sorry but it's awful).

Parting words.
*Big rock and roll group hug*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused