Skip to main content

The current state of Music


My main bone to pick with modern music is that I can't tell what's a joke and what's meant to be taken seriously. Just recently a friend pulled up "The Fox (What does the fox say?)" by Ylvis to gauge my opinion. I've been told I made some of the funniest disgruntled faces of utter confusion ever. Sure, something like that is a more obvious joke, but it is still an clear symptom of the current state of music. Again, it may be a joke song, but tons of people like it and are singing it like it's a real pop ear worm. I tend to encounter this mostly with rap music, having a friend play a music video or track for me to hear. For many years now I have had friends and strangers send me music thinking I might like it or at the very least be amused by it. Lots of people have sent me rap especially, hoping they can be the one to change mind about it.

 I appreciate all music, but I have certain types I really like. I've been exposed to a lot of music and sometimes I do get interested and become a fan of music someone has introduced to me. Usually that doesn't happen, cause I get a LOT of music thrown my way. And most of it simply isn't my thing. With the lyrics rap has now a days, about violence and "bitches" it's hard to take it seriously or know what is meant to be genuine. If I can't tell, I'm probably going to go with engenuine, not serious...a joke. Back in my day, joke music was Weird Al Yankovic, and that was fun, funny and meant as a tribute.

  Nobody seems to be interested in quality music these days, or anything close to musician integrity. In the past year we've been exposed to acts like Rebecca Black with "Friday" and "It's Thanksgiving" by Nicole Westbrook. Horrible auto-tuned music with horrible lyrics seems to be in vogue. How...horrible. Truth is, there is SO much music out there to sift through as an audiophile, and there's so much shit. We seem to covet crappy music at this point in time, or at least we are eager to give our attention to it.

 I have a huge problem hearing music and not being able to tell if I should be laughing at how bad it is. I've had instances where I went "Haha, what is this? This is horrible" and the person says "Oh...it wasn't meant as a joke. I wanted to see if you liked it." Oops, I really do not like to insult another person's music taste. I've had this problem with black metal as well. I've dated a lot of metal heads who are into some of the loudest screamiest music I've ever heard. Sometimes (sorry if this is rude) it sounds just plain ridiculous. The lyrics (if there are any?) are totally un-decodable squeals. For the life of me I don't know what they are saying...if they are saying anything.


 I am totally aware it comes down to taste and preference. But I just don't get it. Modern music leaves me in a state of immense confusion and I'm a young person who should be able to understand it. We live in a time of Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, and One Direction. Miley Cyrus is popular right now in the true female pop star fashion; people aren't talking about her music, but her body and antics. Although that is nothing new, it is only getting worse. That's what we care more about now. Technology has changed so much, and it's changed us. It's made it so much easier to create and release tracks without a record label or even a middle man. But this also means any joe blow can make music, and not everyone is good at writing, singing and creating. We are saturated in music these days, and it's getting harder and harder to find the good stuff. What do you think about the current state of music?

Comments

Anonymous said…
i so agree. The scene is sooo confused, there is so much good music going unnoticed.

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused