Skip to main content

YOU are your own Prince Charming

We've all heard the well meaning words "The right one will come along" especially after a painful break up. I know these friends or family members are well meaning, but they are giving fuel to a crippling misconception. Especially if you're a female raised in the United States, you were raised with the Disney mind set that a Prince will come rescue you from your life. From the time you are a baby yourself you are given baby dolls to pretend mother and eventually a Wedding Day Barbie and Ken. Basically from birth, societal norms are saying get girls prepared for marriage and motherhood.

 Even as a young girl I recall finding this disturbing. Quite frankly I wanted to build and play with girls AND boys toys. I often felt like I was being pressed like dough into a predetermined cookie mold, I fought against it (and rolled my eyes as I did). I felt like I was so much more than what my family thought I could be. I did however, feed into the Prince myth that I would one day me rescued by love. After many relationships, most of them pretty terrible, I am a jaded adult who now knows that's a bunch of crap.

 No one is ever going to rescue you, besides you. You are the only one who can control your destiny and happiness. The key in life is always work on yourself, love and know yourself. If love comes along, you'll be ready. One major thing I learned about love is that it is a shared experience. Love is a two way street, both parties mutually feel the same way about each other, and it's completely natural and un-forced. I remember hearing often in my teens that "when you meet the one...you just know." I always hated that saying and found it incredibly vague.

 After experiencing it, I understood what that meant. I've realized I was the kind of kid who wanted logical worded answers for everything. One of the many lessons that I've learned is "Those who taste, know." Something's just can't be described or explained. I would describe love as that. But since the dawn of mankind, we've been trying to express how love feels through song. Not to mention, the loss of love. No one ever prepared me for losing love, just for expecting it.

  It is sold to a lot of us girls since birth that we are pretty much guaranteed to meet someone and fall in love one day. That simply isn't true. The fact is, you may meet your Prince charming, and you may NOT. Love is not a guarantee. Neither is happiness, but happiness is a lot easier to control for yourself. Continue to seek out the things you are interested in and passionate about---that will inflate your life with legitimate happiness. Guaranteed love is a myth, but love does happen all the time. When it happens, your guts will dance, if it never does...fine, you will be dancing anyway.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused