Skip to main content

Exciting things to come in 2014


 At the end of the year we all reflect on the unfortunate and awesome things we went through. My life has been engulfed in music for a long time, and this year I was happily saturated in it. Almost 3 years out of Graphic Design school, I have my own business, logo which I designed, and the coolest clientele. I'm finally starting to have the life I dreamed about as a kid. I'm going to shows, learning about and getting to know my community, meeting like-minded people and connecting my business to others.

 In the past year I have continued to work with The Gits, running the online shop open for over a year now. Got to know Sammy Chong Salazar at MCL Screenworks who does all our Gits t-shirts, hoodies, stickers, patches and bags. I watched the birth of Emily Jayne's band "The Fashion Slaves" and watched her evolve throughout the year into a real rock star. I saw The Jean Genies incorporate even more Bowie into their act beautifully. I'm currently closing out the year by planning the 11 year anniversary party for Bite The Dust and I am incredibly excited! I am still finalizing the details and will set them free along with a flier soon. Fans out of the state of California and United States (or just those who can't make it) will be able to tune in on our live stream!

 In 2014, I look forward to doing more performances (drag and otherwise), stand up comedy, working with more bands and continuing to branch out more. In the past few years it was been a major goal of mine to solidify or legitimize Bite-The-Dust.com. I've turned it into on hell of a rock fan site but with more than that, services for musicians and editorials to read for young rock and roll fans, a Photo Gallery, Online Shop and a website dedicated to each of my projects. I want to do more this year and further my skills and abilities to help make that happen. Everything I have done and will continue to do will be all about rock and roll.

 This year I got even more networked with bands and did several projects for them this year. Everything from websites to fliers, and promoting to the glamours parts like getting backstage access at a show. I did the most interviews I've ever done this year, and have been on a writing spree (see my blogs). I've been shipping out orders all over the world and hearing on a nearly daily basis how important music is to them. I feel so grateful and happy to be shoulders deep in this world.

 This year we went through a lot together; The death of Lou Reed (Ray Manzarek, others), the release of David Bowie's new album, we encountered shady music people, the sudden loss of music loving friends, and so much more. In the past year I've have made more music minded friends and my music family continues to grow. If it makes any sense, my love for music and rock and roll only solidifies over time... and all of you over the past 11 years have been a giant part of that. YOU guys rock, thanks for being a part of the discussion and thanks for being a friend.

Please take our website survey! It helps us to make a better website for you. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Well said!! It was a rough year, but something tells me this next one's gonna be awesome!! Rock~On, Girl <3

~Tia

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused