Skip to main content

Bone Bash 2014!


 Bone Bash this year on August 2nd was quite a different experience from the last. The line up changed last minute, from Steppenwolf to Don Felder. I may have eaten something that disagreed with me because I had a rumbling stomach. We got caught in traffic and got there at the end of Don Felder's set. We literally could hear "Hotel California" as we drove in. Little did we know, but this concert we'd also deal with a huge douche bag in the audience. 

 Even when I feel like crap, its hard to not try to make the best of it at a good rock show. The Doobie Brother's hit the stage and like clockwork the doobies were lit in the audience. Good ol' Bay Area. They opened with "Jesus is just alright" which makes me automatically think of martyrs dancing around mockingly in Bill Maher's "Religulous". You gotta admit, this song delivers a killer beat. By the way they had two full drum sets with two drummers. Their show reminded me of how much soul this band really has. They also performed "Listen to the music", "Blackwater" and their saxophone player brought it hard. I started to giggle when I though of Michael McDonald being in this band and his silly (tee hee) music. Then I realized just how many members were in this band, and has been in this band. Here was there touring line up for the show. Many, many, doobies were had. Go figure.

 Just as my high was starting to kick in, the stage literally turned into the dashboard of an alien spaceship. This pleased me like you don't even know. They played "Smokin" which couldn't have been better. Holy shit, this band reminded of what it means to rock. They were taking me away into their rocknroll-verse from the inside of a space ship (even their website is like that). Buttons and nobs lit up like a ship console, and the moving screen has traveling fast through space. To top it all off was killer organ playing with all these different camera angles on his spot. Woa dude, let me tell you...that was rockin'.

 Before I could fully enjoy my interstellar journey, I noticed a man in front of us bothering another women. This same guy drunkenly told us he knew the band and got these 4 seats to himself. These two blond women came to take their seats and he like some monkey child started to put his hands on her. He played it off like he's just kidding, or trying to give a hi five. I'd been watching this guy, so I wasn't buying it. He KEPT doing it, to the point where the women started to hit him back. However, she'd give him a hit and back off and ignore him. Then he began to whistle at her, not a cat call but one of those annoying "HEY" whistles. That's when I was about to yell at this dude, when my friend stopped me and smartly called security. The guy got the hint and sheepishly bailed on his row of seats. Finally, we could enjoy the show. This guy was awful. 

 They played "Peace of Mind", "Rock and roll band", "Amanda", and before long "More than a feeling" where all the lighters errr...smart phones came out to glow. My only complaint is that I apparently didn't have enough weed to enjoy those long indulgent solos. I feel guilty for saying that, but really long solos are not my cup of tea, I noticed too that about half the members looked like "new blood." Boston, like the Doobies has had a lot of different members. The lead singer Tommy DeCarlo is new blood who was discovered after he posted videos of him singing Boston songs on Youtube. Wow! 

 Sadly the original lead singer of Boston Brad Delp is dead. I can be an old fogie for only being 29 (I'm an old soul) and usually when it comes to things I do not like change. The new members in the band brought it...all the way to outer space and then back to San Jose. Which they kept calling "San Francisco" even their tour shirts said "San Francisco." Behind the drum set was a gong with the word "Boston" on it. Towards the end of the night Tommy DeCarlo went at it with a mallet and satisfied my "Hey is that a gong? When are they going to hit it!?" urges. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused