Skip to main content

Sir Elton John rocks San Jose and apparently, Rob Lowe



 On October 2nd I was surprised with a last minute ticket to an Elton John show. I gotta tell ya, I never thought I'd get to see Elton John...for two main reasons I realized. Firstly...it's SIR ELTON JOHN, I just never thought I'd be so lucky. I figured it would be like being in the presence of royalty, which is really was. And second, Elton John tickets aint cheap. Thankfully my friend won them, so he didn't have to shell out the money. I HEART winning concert tickets. I won my first concert tickets at the age of 15 (maybe 14) with front and center seats to see the Monkees. Anyhow, yesterday afternoon I found myself headed to San Jose. It felt like a mini vacation. The Silicon Valley is quite different from my East Bay Oakland-Berkeley nest. Thing is, I wasn't all that far from home.


 San Jose's SAP arena was huge and the stage was fitted with something that looked like a moving chandelier.  By the end of the night, Elton John made that huge arena feel small and personal...which I've never experienced before. The opening act was an indie band Elton supports and enjoys "Bright Light Bright Light." Being an old soul whose admittedly rock-centric, I had never heard of this band. This is mostly because most contemporary bands aren't my bag. They had a great sound and definitely made me think of how tough it can be to be the opening act. The audience of San Jose was warm, welcome and dancy from what I saw. Being the opening act your job is to break the people in. Take them away from the activities of the day and set them up for the headliner.

 Before the opening act came on, Elton came on screen to introduce them which I thought was a nice touch...and something I rarely see. Little did I know there would be a LOT of nice touches that night, some more obvious than others. Once Bright Light exited the stage after only about a 30 minute set--it was quickly set up for Elton and his band. The lights went out, and fog quickly crept on the stage accompanied by blue lights and "Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding". It being the second of October, this fit perfectly. Elton entered the stage in what is literally the bluest, glitteriest thing I have ever seen in my life. That jacket was embedded with so many glitter studs, Elton looked like a glitter fire cracker was constantly going off on his suit.

Elton bowed and smiled generously and graciously before he sat down at the shiny black fancy piano. Our seats we behind Elton, but further up back. I missed some of the stage nuances due to the view, but it all came together in the end where even with a cropped view you could understand. When we walked in there door there were tons of notices that this would be filmed. So I'm assuming this will be on DVD or released somehow. The show went like a well oiled machine, which just spoke volumes to the level of professionalism Elton John and his band (and staff) have. The songs went seemlessly into the next with energy and talent tickling the ivories that I didn't even realize Elton had. I even felt the need to yell out at one point "He's tickled the ivories so hard they peed their pants." I dunno but that was my way of saying BOOM. I mean, I knew this guy could play, but wow.

 Set list included "Candle in the wind","The Bitch is Back", "Your Song", "Tiny Dancer", "Crocodile Rock", "Philadelphia Freedom", "Levon", " Saturday Nights Alright", "I'm still standing", "Home Again", "Oceans Away", "Rocket Man" and for the encore "Circle of life" which seemed to surprise us all. Although a lot of famous tunes were played that night, the audience lost it the most for Lion King's "Circle of life" Admittedly I started to get emotional too because Lion King pulls on the heart strings of Disney movie watching kid Becca. That's when it really hit me. After years of listening to this musician, all the scores to soundtracks he did, all the groundbreaking things he did....he was playing on a stage before me. I was stoked to see it all come full circle, and it didn't hurt that the song was Circle of life. Everyone in the audience was singing to this song, it didn't matter what age they were.



Concert goodies: T-shirt, tour book, tote bag

 After Elton's encore he went to the stage front to sign autographs which was really rad. Many of the floor level people in the first several rows crammed forward to get a signature...and I don't blame them. Lucky people! As the evening was reaching and emotional climax, the camera was continually scanning the audience for reactions and dancing people. Out of the crowd emerged a familiar face wearing red plaid and a big concert high smile....Rob Lowe. The audience did a collective "Woaaa!" A bunch of thoughts whizzed through my head, like "Woa it's Rob Lowe!" and "I wonder if he's cool with the fact that the camera just spotted him and now everyone know where he is." (no-anonymity)  At the end of nearly every song he played, Sir Elton John stood up from the piano, turned around all the way to the whole viewpoint of people watching, removed his sunglasses and bowed.

I can say that in my concert going experience I've never seen an entertainer as gracious as Elton John.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused