Skip to main content

My Journey through Pinterest Tutorials

The Good...

"Mini Magnet Pies" my absolute favorite and it was probably the most adorable. The bottle crap pies are so real looking too that my friends thought they were edible (LOL!)

"Blingy Coaster" was a fun one to do because of all the placing of the gems. The end result was really pretty. The only thing I'd note about this one is having various sizes of gems is important to get the gems to fit properly within the circle.

"Homemade Candle Tarts From Left Over Wax" This was fun and turned out nicely. I added dried lavender petals and they smell great! This was a great way to use left over wax from scented candles.

"CD/DVD Mosaic" worked well and was a fun one to do. You can really use your imagination on this one when it comes to laying out the pieces.

"Glowing Firefly Jar" worked pretty well. I applied glow in the dark paint in my small ball shapes on the inside and out. It looks awesome at night!

"DIY Glass Bead Candle holder" was a fun tutorial. The only tricky thing was balancing the glass holder when having the slippery glass beads drying on the sides of it.

"Vinyl Record Necklace" I did the same thing in terms of cutting a 45 in half and making it into a necklace. Not to toot my own horn, but mine ended up looking way better than the one pictured.

"Bottle Cap Earrings" was as cool one and bottle caps provide a great base for a ring, earrings, pendant, and more.

"DIY Headband Holder" A Quaker Oats container turns into a great holder/display for headbands!

"Painted old LED candles" I came up with this idea when decorating for Halloween. I had old mini LED candles with dead batteries and wanted to do something with them. So I painted them with purple glitter on the base and several coats of glow in the dark paint on the flame part. I'm sure other people have done and thought of this, but I actually haven't been able to find a tutorial on pinterest for it. They looked pretty awesome in the end!

"DIY Phone Dock" There are tutorials for them on pinterest but I didn't quite find what I needed. I of course made do by sizing it out in cardboard and wood and covered in it air dry clay and paint. I cut out a little notch for the charging cord and have it weighted down in the back with a glass jar.

The Bad...

"DIY CD Coasters" don't make very good coasters because they are so light weight. I tried to weigh them down with cork and felt, but that didn't help.

"DIY Cork Stamps" didn't seem to evaporate ink very well. Trying to get a good stamp out of it seemed ineffective.

"CD Scratch Board" didn't work very well for me. Even though I was careful to apply a light consistent coat of black paint when I etched it it basically peeled off and looked sloppy. The lines aren't as clean as I was hoping for.

"Bracelet from a vinyl record" didn't work too well for me. It was hard to mold it even with gloves and a rolling pin. The chance to mold it is so brief that I found myself having to heat it up again and again.

The Ugly...

"DIY Melted Bead Crafts" This one was a hilarious learning lesson. If it isn't obvious already *do not to this in your oven inside your house*- It quickly gives off plastic fumes and sets off the smoke detector. The blame is on me because I didn't read the whole tutorial, which says you gotta do this outdoors, NOT indoors. UPDATE: I found a better way to do this! I decided to try a candle warmer with wax paper on top between the beads and warmer. I took a glass jar or lid and put it on top to compress it and within 10 minutes are so it would be melted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused