Skip to main content

My Rock Book Collection


 Since my teenage years I have been accumulating rock n roll books from biographies to timelines and more. As a teenager I only liked to read rock books. Thankfully in my early college years I re-discovered books and really fell in love with them finally. The books I was introduced to in college were much more intriguing and I began to go to the school library. In my adulthood (after college) I visited the Oakland Public Library often and bought a lot of books online. Most of the books I get I end up donating to the local library but my rock books are some I simply wont part with.

I collect books on many subjects but my music books are my most cherished. They also represent some of my happiest memories. Recently I decided to start documenting my collections and making video slideshows of what I have on my shelves. I also wanted to talk a bit about some of them, hopefully going into more detail on my I liked them so much.

"I'm with the band" by Pamela Des Barres - This is a really honest and intriguing account from a groupie of the 60's and 70's who slept with many of rock and roll's biggest names.

Rock Book Collection "Elvis by The Presley's" is in my opinion the best candid behind the scenes quotes and memories from those closest to the King of Rock. 

"Touching from a distance" is a raw and inspiring story of Joy Division's Ian Curtis' wife Deborah perspective. 

"Ramones: The Complete Twisted History" is one of the best if not the best Ramones biographies I've read. This book also comes with great photos that I hadn't previously seen. One of the Joey Ramone photos I loved so much I got it tattooed on my back.

"I slept with Joey Ramone" is the quintessential Joey Ramone book written by his brother Mickey Leigh. Everything you could possibly want to know about Joey Ramone and his youth can be found in this book. 

"And the beat goes on" by Michael Campbell was a book I had to get for my Music History class. I quickly found out what a gem this book is...seriously the most through and comprehensive book on the evolution of rock and roll. 

"Rock and Pop Timeline""Dirty Blond" by Courtney Love and "Magnificent Vibration" by Rick Springfield are both signed books. I got to meet them both, chat for a sec and get their autograph in their book.

"The Story of Tommy" by Richard Barnes and Pete Townshend is a piece of cult classic literature gold. This book is full of colorful behind the scenes photos from the Tommy movie, writings by Pete Townshend about what inspired him to write Tommy, and even lyrics to the songs.

"Rock and Pop Timeline" by Johnny Black, Hugh Gregory, Andy Basire is a fantastic music timeline reference guide. It's a must for those just being introduced to music or are long time music fanatics. This book is info packed with lots of photos in a cohesive way with information about many music genres.


 Another book that is noteworthy and no longer a part of my collection (I think I lent it out) "Chelsea Horror Hotel" by Dee Dee Ramone might be the most entertaining biography I have read.This book goes in and out of reality in a classically Dee Dee kinda way. 

"Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere: The Complete Chronicle of THE WHO" by Andrew Neill and Matthew Kent is the best Who book out there! Tons of large quality photos on every page of this timeline themed book. 

* If you have a question about any of these books, or like to talk about them, feel free to contact me -or- join in the conversation on my facebook page. I love talking about this stuff!

Comments

Coop Catlyst said…
Loved reeading this thank you

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused