Skip to main content

Rock n Roll Suicide: My thoughts on Chris Cornell's passing

 It is a most unusual May 19th for me. Normally I have Joey Ramone or Pete Townshend on my mind, but today I'm thinking about Chris Cornell. Right now I'm honestly feeling heartbroken...I feel sad that Chris took his own life. I have no idea what he personally went through and I didn't know how much he was struggling. Some artists do a great job at conveying their pain and somehow in the process healing your own. Chris Cornell is one of them for me.

 The first music poster that I ever put on my wall was Soundgarden. The first music video that blew my mind and made me fall in love with them was Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun." I'll never forget how interesting that music video was to a young me. It marked the beginning of my love for twisted reality; it was bizarre, it bothered me...but I liked it. The melting Barbie felt like an FU to conventional life. The whole music video felt like an FU to what a music video is supposed to be like. And then came Audioslave, which was an awesome band. "I am the highway" and "Like a stone" are two of my personal favorites. I always felt so much 'rawness' in both of those songs. For years I had a drum set, and one of my favorite songs to drum and sing to was "Like a stone." I really can't say enough on how much his music has reached me.

"Cornell has spoken openly of his struggles with drug and alcohol addiction, as well as his periods of depression and agoraphobia". And according to this article "Family of Soundgarden's Chris Cornell say he did not intend to kill himself": "The family believes that if Chris took his life, he did not know what he was doing and that drugs or other substances may have affected his actions." and "Without the results of toxicology tests, we do not know what was going on with Chris or if any substances contributed to his demise. Chris, a recovering addict, had a prescription for Ativan and may have taken more Ativan than recommended dosages." So I guess the toxicology report will help explain.

 The lyric "Nothing will do me in before I do myself" stands out to me now. Chris apparently said "that looking for suicidal thoughts in song lyrics was hopeless." Just like when Robin Williams hung himself, I asked "Why? You were so talented and everybody loved you." I quickly came to the conclusion that the world loving you isn't enough. Depression is complicated and personal. It is also worth addressing that Chris hung himself on the 17th which is a day before Joy Division's Ian Curtis hung himself on the 18th of 1980.


 While I don't want to focus on Chris' death I can't help but think of the vast amount of musicians who have committed suicide; Ian Curtis, Kurt Cobain, Wendy O Williams, Michael Hutchence, Nick Drake, Elliott Smith, Keith Emerson, Butch Trucks, Phil Ochs, and this is just the tip of the iceberg.  I feel like I'm regularly talking about rock star deaths, but I don't think I've ever touched on rock star suicide. Taking your life is considered taboo and not to mention hard to talk about for most. Depression is real and is the true culprit in many situations. Whenever someone dies we are quick to ask why. As with Robin Williams, many considered him a beloved actor and comedian. His death was a hard, sad reality smack for most of us. People, including myself thought "If he can't beat depression, how can I?/ What hope do I have?"

 Although I feel that way again, I also feel an ever growing strength. The kind that motivates me to not be the one to take myself down. It inspires me to learn from their tragic loss. As someone who has been through depression and attempts at my own life this hits home for me. I'm realizing only now in retrospect that the music of Chris Cornell is full pain and foreshadowing. From Soundgarden to Audioslave, the music is littered with an obvious struggle. Trying hard not to be taken down, feeling like you're dying and if you die you will be the one who ended it.

"And even when you've paid enough, been pulled apart or been held up.
With every single memory of the good or bad faces of luck
don't lose any sleep tonight.
I'm sure everything will end up alright.
You may win or lose.
But to be yourself is all that you can do." - Audioslave "Be Yourself"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused