Skip to main content

Rock Inspired Movies [Rock Films Part 4]

Almost Famous by Cameron Crowe
Almost Famous by Cameron Crowe
A great story based in real life about a young aspiring rock journalist in 1970's San Diego. He finally gets his big break and has a chance to interview Black Sabbath. He gets advised to keep it professional and not become a rock stars friends...but he does anyway. He joins the opneing band "Stillwater" on their American tour and learns about the rock and roll lifestyle first hand. And that it isn't what it seems to be.

Rock And Roll High School by Allan Arkush
Rock And Roll High School by Allan Arkush
The life and times of a Ramones and rock n' roll loving high school girl who is just dying to break out. All she wants to do is listen to music and day dream about Joey Ramone. She decides to skip school to wait in line for Ramones concert tickets. Unfortunately for her, the new evil principal is anti-rock n roll music and is trying to turn parents against their children. When the principal takes it too far and burns the students vinyl records, Riff calls on the Ramones for help. Great concert footage of The Ramones and a great soundtrack to boot.

Hedwig and The Angry Inch by John Cameron Mitchell
Hedwig and The Angry Inch by John Cameron Mitchell
A transgender rock star who grows up inspired by the music of Lou Reed, Iggy Pop and David Bowie. A young man who gets a sex change to marry a man and leave Germany for America. Not long after he arrives, his husband leaves him and the Berlin wall falls. He starts a band with his new gender identity and is eventually ripped off by a pupil who is also his lover.

Velvet Goldmine by Todd Haynes
Velvet Goldmine by Todd Haynes
Characters and story directly drawn from the actual relationship between David Bowie and Iggy Pop (Mick Jagger too) and Bowie's wife Angie. Brian Slade is a glam rock star while at the top of his game stages his death. He created an identity bigger than himself; a character that inspired young people to dress androgynously and explore their sexuality. Years after Slade burns away a British journalist hunts him down for the whole story.

The Pick Of Destiny by Liam Lynch

The Pick Of Destiny by Liam Lynch
A chubby kid grows up in the Mid-West inspired by rock music and heavy metal. After the advisement of Dio, he runs away from home in pursuit of creating the world's greatest rock band. He joins forces with his best friend and room mate. Together they hit the road after hearing about a super secret powerful guitar pick used by all the great guitarists. While in pursuit of the pick of destiny they encounter Satan and some characters that don't want them to get the pick. Dio and Meatloaf appear in this movie.

Absolute Beginners by Julien Temple
Absolute Beginners by Julien Temple
A musical adaptation of Colin MacInnes' novel about life in late 1950s London. The storyline incorporates elements of the 1958 Notting Hill race riots. A young photographer is pining for an attractive fashion designer who only cares about her career. Later this changes to fame and fortune only. To win her over, he also seeks fame and fortune. David Bowie appears in the movie, along with Ray Davies.

Honorable mentions: Detroit Rock City

Please note: If you have a question about any of these movies, or would like to add more to the list, feel free to contact me -or- join in the conversation on my facebook page. We love talking about this stuff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused