Skip to main content

Rock Mockumentaries and Trippy Movies [Rock Films Part 3]

This is Spinal Tap by Rob Reiner
This is Spinal Tap by Rob Reiner
On the road with the world's loudest band as they promote their new album. They can't seem to hold on to a drummer though, because they keep meeting bizarre deaths. This is a hilarious mockumentary poking fun at the rock and roll lifestyle. The band Spinal Tap tries to find their place as they reminisce on where they were. Tensions grow between the band members especially concerning girlfriends. In the end they get it together and find their audience.

A Mighty Wind by Christopher Guest
A Mighty Wind by Christopher Guest
A hilarious mockumentary on folk music. It references actual folk acts, like The Kingston Trio, Peter Paul and Mary, and The New Christy Minstrels. This movie is kind of like a Spinal Tap reunion because it has the original 3 (Shearer, Willard and Guest) as the main characters. Drama ensues between bands, and band members as they get their acts together for a reunion show.

The Rutles by Gary Weis & Eric Idle
The Rutles by Gary Weis & Eric Idle
This is another mockumentary, this time paralleling the career of the Beatles with some of the guys from Monty Python. They conquer just about every Beatles joke and myth, including the Paul is dead hoax. Mick Jagger, Paul Simon, and George Harrison make guest appearances. They made a sequel called "The Rutles: Can't Buy Me Lunch" but the first one is much better.

 
200 Motels by Frank Zappa
200 Motels by Frank Zappa
A random stoner adventure movie about life on the road. The Mothers of Invention performances are intertwined with them trying to get laid and getting stoned. Ringo Starr appears in the movie portraying Frank Zappa. Not to mention Keith Moon appears playing a drug addicted Nun.

The Monkees' Head by Bob Rafelson
The Monkees' Head by Bob Rafelson
A fantastically conceived and edited movie in a stream of consciousness style. The Monkees and Jack Nicholson got together, got high and created this movie. Lots of great music intertwined with unforgettable non-sequiters. Also appearing are Frank Zappa, Toni Basil and Denis Hopper.

Tommy by Ken Russel
Tommy by Ken Russel
The Who's Tommy album done in a film format. A stylistic and engaging, sometimes a bit disturbing story about a deaf dumb and blind boy. All star cast with not only all of the members of The Who, but other rockers and well known actors. Ann-Margret received a Golden Globe Award for her performance, and was also nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress. Pete Townshend was also nominated for an Oscar for his work in scoring and adapting the music for the film.

Donnie Darko by Richard Kelly
Donnie Darko by Richard Kelly
A young man in the 1980's is disturbed by visions of Doomsday and seeks the meaning behind them. Great story about time travel with an all star cast. It's a story where things aren't what they seem. This movie played a big role in bringing back the music of Echo & The Bunnymen, Tears For Fears, and The Church.
The Rocky Horror Picture Show by Jim Sharman
The Rocky Horror Picture Show by Jim Sharman 
Cult classic with the epic pipes of Meatloaf and Tim Curry. Kinky worlds collide when a man made man has his first birthday and meets Brad and Janet, who are lost and just want to use the phone. After the created man goes missing, his maker Dr.Frank goes looking for him and discovers an intruder has entered the castle. Pierre La Roche who was a make-up artist for Mick Jagger did the make-up for each character in the film.

Liquid Sky by Slava Tsukerman
Liquid Sky by Slava Tsukerman
A futuristic new wave style film about models, fashion shows and heroin made in the 1980's. Edgy synthesized music pieces and a crazy premise about a girl who "kills with her cunt." She has a male model antagonist doppelganger who continually shows up through the movie. Heavily influenced by glam rock fashion and punk-subculture.

The Point by Fred Wolf
The Point by Fred Wolf
Harry Nilsson's album "The Point" in animated movie form. Ringo Starr is the voice of the father telling the story of "The Point" to his son voiced by Brady Bunch's (Bobby) Michael Lookinland. He's narrating the story about a kingdom where everything has a literal point. Except the town freak, Oblio, born to "pointed parents." It's a good story filled with Nilsson tunes and crazy psychedelic characters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused