Skip to main content

(SECRETS) Music I'm embarrassed to admit I like

 For years I've been hiding dark secrets that I've been keeping even from my closest friends. As a teenager I was so hardcore into classic rock I had a stubborn attitude that any other music was simply inferior. I went around practically preaching that individuals need to be themselves and to not care what other people think.

 My adult life has already taught me so many things; one of them being that I have been lying to myself about myself for all my life. I'm not going to get too deep here so allow me to peel away a layer of who I really am and what I really like.

 Some of this music I actually feel shame for enjoying. If any of this music started playing in mixed company I would pretend to not care when they change it. But inside I'm going "Awwwwwwe" because I like that song but feel too embarrassed to say so. Oddly enough I've kept some of my music preferences a secret.

The list goes from music I am least embarrassed to admit I like at the top and the most at the bottom. 


9 musicians and albums I'm embarrassed to admit I like

Third Eye Blind by Third Eye Blind
The album Third Eye Blind by Third Eye Blind 
This band is so much more than "Semi-Charmed Life"; their biggest hit --which is also on this album. Third Eye Blind's self titled album start off with an eerie electric guitar in "Losing a whole year." The whole album is packed with quality songs that are not only catchy but have heart. When this came out in 1997 it made a big splash and seemed to capture the era and the angst. "Narcoplepsy" might be my favorite song on the whole thing. This particular album is really solid and an under-appreciated gem of the time. 


STING
The music of Sting
Of all the music on this list, this is the one I have gotten the most crap for. I'm a big fan of the Police's music ... and Sting's music is pretty damn good too. Some of my personal favorites are: "If I ever lose my faith in you", "Fields of Gold", "If you love somebody set them free" and probably more. I do start to giggle when I hear (but still enjoy) "Desert Rose" and "Brand new day." I have been informed that because I like the music of Sting and Phil Collins this means I like "dad rock." 

dad·rock
noun
informal
noun: dad rock
  1. rock music that appeals to an older generation, or that is heavily influenced by that of an earlier era.

    "some reviewers deride his current style as dadrock—music that shouldn't appeal to self-respecting teenagers"

SEAL
The music of Seal
I enjoy his smokey voice and his song was probably my favorite thing about the Batman Forever movie. I find his voice and music to be enjoyable and not "sappy" as others think. Some songs I enjoy: "Crazy", "Waiting for you", "Kiss from a rose", "Love's Divine", and "Don't cry."


PHIL COLLINS
The music of Phil Collins
I love Genesis, which is why I also love the music of Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins. I enjoy a lot of his music including: "In the air tonight", "Mama", his cover songs and even his music from Disney's "Tarzan." Phil has gotten a lot of  harsh criticism in recent years for reasons I can't quite comprehend. There were people running petitions for him to end his music career despite him announcing his retirement due to doing partially deaf. 


THE ALAN PARSON'S PROJECT
The music of The Alan Parson's Project 
I really enjoy songs like "Eye in the sky", "Games people play", and "The Raven" I have a bunch of their albums and they are a great band to listen to on record. I've had friends call their music incredibly boring but I find it serene and thought provoking. 


"Spice"  Spice World
The albums "Spice" and "Spice World" by The Spice Girls
I think the Spice Girls released some pretty great pop music back when they were big. The Spice Girls expressed self-awareness in their movie "Spice World" poking fun at their lives in the tabloids and on the road. Their music is fun and it teleports me to the pleasant times in 90's. However, I did not care for later Spice Girls music which turned into hip hop. Some of my favorite songs are: "Stop", "More Over (Generation Next)", "Too Much", and "Who do you think you are". "Spice" and "Spice World" are in my opinion their best work.


LINKIN PARK
The music of Linkin Park
In 2007 when "Minutes to Midnight" was released I found myself not hating what I was listening to. Some songs I enjoy are: "Numb", "Faint" (music video directed by Mark Romanek my favorite music video director!), and "Waiting for the end". With the death of the lead singer (Chester Bennington) recently I decided I come clean about my secret enjoyment of his music. I don't mean to jump on some sort of band wagon but I do want to give credit where credit is due. My heart genuinely goes out to him knowing that he dealt with depression and ended up taking his own life.

MOBY
The music of Moby
Moby is another dirty secret of mine when it comes to music I genuinely enjoy. Some songs I like by him are: "South Side" with Gwen Stefani, "Porcelain", In this world", "We are all made of stars", "In my heart" and "Natural Blues." 

COLDPLAY
The music of Coldplay
I enjoy a lot of their music. Ok, I said it. Some songs I like by them are: "The Scientist", "Lost", "Yellow,", "Fix you", and "Speed of sound."

What music do you like that you are embarrassed about but willing to admit? I challenge you to think about it - I believe we all have them. Write down the music, bands and albums that you have been keeping a secret. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused