Skip to main content

Local cover bands

 My favorite pastime is going to concerts and shows. The difference between a concert and a show according to me is the venue. Concerts are in large venues with tickets for the act. Shows are at local clubs, and tend to have no tickets...just stamps on the back of your hand. I love both equally, and feel lucky to live in an area that doesn't have any shortage of good music around. This page is dedicated to local San Francisco Bay Area tribute bands I am watching and listening to.

 I will be updating this page regularly and if you have a local bay area band please email me at beccajs@gmail.com. While I know there are amazing cover bands all over the country I want to keep it simple by narrowing it down to the SF Bay Area in California.

The Jean Genies


The Jean Genies I first discovered this awesome David Bowie tribute band at Bowie Ball 2 at Cafe Du Nord in San Francisco. The Jean Genies go all out and they've nailed the Ziggy era songs you want to hear. Not only that, Geoff Ball aka David Bowie totally gets into the role as Ziggy Stardust and always has impressive and accurate costumes--believe me--I would know. I'm fairly certain every member of the Jean Genies is a total Bowie nerd; so this band is for real! Photo by Becca Jones-Starr.

Punk Floyd


Punk Floyd I'd consider myself a pretty tough critic, but this band impressed me immediately. Punk Floyd have cleverly reworked Pink Floyd songs into kick ass 2 minute punk songs. In the style of the Ramones they plow right from one song to the next. They may deliver some serious punk rock but they also keep it real with the psychedelic Pink Floyd style sound effects. Punk Floyd is a ton of fun and lots of real rock and roll energy. They have perfectly blended a band I love with a type of music I love. Any serious punker can appreciate these guys. Photo by Bryan Turner.

Malice Cooper


Malice Cooper It is great to see a performer get totally immersed in their role, and when you go to see Malice Cooper that's exactly what you get. Geoff Ball of the Jean Genies (and a few other of the members) are also a part of this Alice Cooper tribute band. They had everything every Minion could hope for: the guillotine, the blood, and the bloody lady performers to help him carry out his dirty deeds. The show ended with Malice getting his head chopped off! Photo by Matt Granz.

The Trouble with Monkeys


The Trouble With Monkeys! This group of people form a fun Monkees tribute band here in the Bay Area. They do all the songs you wanna hear, including "rarer" ones like "Gonna buy me a dog." They also invite audience members on stage to sing a few of the songs! Photo by Alex Stover.

The Killer Queens


The Killer Queens The Killer Queens are an all female Queen tribute band. The lead singer "Frederica Mercury" wears accurate Freddie inspired outfits like the black and white checkered leotard. They were all wearing snazzy outfits and looked like they just stepped out of the salon. The guitarist "Brianna May" has a guitar *just* like Brian's Red Special. Photo from The Killer Queens website.

The Hormones


The Hormones This all girl Ramones tribute band brings the energy, not to mention the pinheads and cretins. These ladies form a fierce cover band and nail all the tracks you wanna hear and sing to. They don't forget to wap the audience with a foam baseball bat and have a dancing Pinhead with a "Gabba Gabba Hey" sign. Photo from The Hormones website.

The Rave Ups


The Rave Ups A talented Yard Bird tribute band that have played for some of the Yard Birds themselves. These guys know their shit and have a devoted fanbase for a reason. They play shows often and travel all over doing them. Photo from The Rave Ups website.

Space Boss


Space Boss A T-Rex tribute band fronted by a spunky chick with a strong voice. One of the best things about tribute bands is their enthusiasm for the music; which this band definitely has. Photo from the Space Boss FB page.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused