Skip to main content

Music to check out (if you haven't yet)

Modern bands that prove rock and roll style music, whether it be garage rock,
psychedelic, or authentic blues is still alive and being made.


Interpol

New York based band, part of the post-punk revival sound with Ian Curtis-like vocals. Similiar sound to The Chamelons or Echo & The Bunnymen.
Check out: "Slow Hands", "Stella was a diver and she was always down", "Roland"
Interpol     Active 1997-present

The Black Angels

The band's name derives from the Velvet Underground song "The Black Angel's Death Song". Contemporary acid rock at it's finest. Psychadelic album covers with a 13th Floor Elevators vibe. They sound just like Strawberry Alarm Clock, The Byrds, and Jefferson Airplane.
Check out: "Melanie's Melody", "Telephone", "Yellow Elevator #2"
The Black Angels     Active 2004-present

Of Montreal

From Athens, Georgia neo-psychedelia and indie rock, Violent Femmes vibe. Influenced by Beatles and Bowie. A nice merge between glam rock and electronic.
Check out: "The past is a grotesque animal", " Gronlandic Edit ", "To A Pathological Creep"
Of Montreal     Active 1996-present

The Arctic Monkeys

English band part of the Post-punk revival. Garage rock sound, Paul Weller sounding vocals. Influenced by The Smiths.
Check out: "Dangerous Animals", "Fluorescent Adolescent"
The Arctic Monkeys     Active 2002-present

The Heavy

A fine example of contemporary funk and blues from Bath, England. They can bring it also when it comes to psychadelic rock. Vocals could be compared to Curtis Mayfield and James Brown. Covered "Doing My Time" by Johnny Cash.
Check out: "Can't play dead", "How do you like me now", "Just My Luck"
The Heavy     Active 2007-present

Roxie 77

Great example of contemporary hard rock with members from Sacramento, California and Sweden. Music is reminiscent of Guns N Roses and alternative bands of the early 90's. Lead singer Ryan Roxie did guitar work for Alice Copper and Slash. Biggest guitar hero is Brian May from Queen.
Check out: "Stay In California", "The Question", "Poster Idol"
Roxie 77     Active 2002-present

The Black Keys

Garage and indie rock from Akron Ohio. Influenced by popular genres from the 1950s - 1970s, including rock and roll, glam rock, rockabilly, surf rock, and soul. The band cited several retro acts as musical influences, including The Clash, The Cramps, T. Rex, Ramones, The Beatles, Sweet, The Cars, and Johnny Burnette.
Check out: "Tighten Up", "Lonely Boy", "Gold On The Ceiling"
The Black keys     Active 2001-present

Deerhunter 

A great example of neo-psychedelia from Atlanta Georgia. Sound is influenced by 50's girl group pop and features saxophone sounds inspired by the Rolling Stones' album Exile On Main Street.
Check out: "Revival", "Famous Last Words", "Spring Hall Convert"
Deerhunter     Active 2001-present

Atlas Sound

Psychadellic and experimental rock. Bradford Cox, the creator of Deerhunter went solo and created this band. His method of creating music is stream-of-consciousness, and he does not write lyrics in advance. Atlas Sound performed at the All Tomorrow's Parties festival named after the song "All Tomorrow's Parties" by The Velvet Underground.
Check out: "Walkabout", "Recent Bedroom"
Atlas Sound     Active 2001-present

The Dandy Warhols

Portland Oregon based Brit power pop sounding band, alternative rock and neo-psychedelia, vocalist sounds like Lou Reed on some tracks. This band supported Bowie on his 2003 Reality tour.
Check out: "Lou Weed", "Smoke It", "Bohemian Like You"
The Dandy Warhols     Active 1994-present

Jeremy Jay

Song writer from LA California resmscent of 60's pop with a soft melancholy voice.
Check out: "Airwalker", "Just Dial My Number", "Ghost Rider"
Jeremy Jay     Active 1994-present

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Post punk revival, awesome surf guitar, Chrissie Hynde-esque vocals from NYC. Their style has been described as "an art-rock trio who made an edgy post-punk, dancefloor-friendly racket that mixed up Blondie with Siouxsie and the Banshees."
Check out: "Black Tounge", great cover of "Sheena is a punk rocker", "Y Control"
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs     Active 2000-present

The Black Crowes

Atlanta, Georgia based classic rock and blusey sound, soulful vocals. Toured with Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (and many others). Influenced by The Rolling Stones and The Faces.The band has announced that they will return in early 2013.
Check out: "Hard to handle", "Blackberry", "Twice As Hard"
The Black Crowes     Active 1989-present

Holly GoLightly

Singer-song writer from London named after Audrey Hepburn's character in Breakfast At Tiffany's. Girl garage rock and rockabilly with a raw sound. Sang with The White Stripes on their album "Elephant."
Check out: "Til I get", "All around the houses", "Waiting Room", "Grandstand", "I can't Be Trusted"
Holly GoLightly     Active 1991-present

The Donnas 

Kick ass girl group with a Joan Jett and The Runaways feel from Palo Alto, California. Drawing inspiration from The Ramones, Kiss, and AC/DC. Toured with Pat Benetar and Blondie.
Check out: "Take It Off", "I Don't Wanna Go To School", "Friends Like Mine"
The Donnas     Active 1993-present

The Hives

Swedish garage rock meets punk, retro feel, David Johansen sounding vocalist. Similiar stage antics as The Who. Toured with Pearl Jam.
Check out: "Go Right Ahead", "Tick Tick BOOM", "Hate to say I told you so"
The Hives     Active 1993-present

The Vines

Sydney, Australia garage rock and some great grunge rock tracks. Were dubbed "The second coming of Nirvana." Named themselves after an Elvis cover band.
Check out: "Ride", "Riverview Avenue", "Weird Animals"
The Vines     Active 1999-present

Jet

Austrailian band, hard and garage rock with vocals similar to Steven Tyler. 2 brothers in the band both claimed to have been hugely influenced by their parents classic rock records. Opened for The Rolling Stones. Worked with Iggy Pop on the single "Wild One."
Check out: "Are you gonna be my girl", "Get what you need", "That's all lies"
Jet     Active 2001-2012

Oasis

Manchester England based band heavily influenced by The Beatles. Vocals sound hauntingly like John Lennon's. Ringo Starr's son Zak was their drummer for a while.
Check out: "Don't Look Back In Anger", "All Around The World", "Champagne Supernova"
Oasis     Active 1991-2009



If you have a question about any of this music, or like to talk about them, feel free to contact me -or- join in the conversation on our facebook page. We love talking about this stuff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused