Skip to main content

"Ziggy Stardust" & "Low"

In the month of January, two of the most phenomenal David Bowie albums were released or recorded.  Not the same year, but both in the month of January.

Those albums also happen to be my personal favorite's; "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars" and "Low."

The album "Ziggy Stardust" for short (the official name is above) was recorded between September of 1971 and late January of 1972. Ziggy Stardust was the first album I ever bought. I didn't have a record player but I knew I would own one someday. I bought at least a dozen record before I was able to afford and obtain a record player. Ziggy Stardust was also given to me as a a CD from a  family friend on my 17th birthday. This person won a permanent place in my heart. The album blew my mind. every time I heard it. As a teen I wanted records and all these things that I couldn't get because I was a and had no job. That changed. I now I have a lot of records and other awesome things. "Rock and roll suicide" became my theme song as a teen. I was new to playing drums at the time and wanted to learn the drum beats for "Five Years."
The Ziggy Stardust album was essentially the debut of Ziggy Stardust the character, and if you don't know who and what Ziggy Stardust is, I'm about to make things a whole lot more confusing. The song "Oh you pretty things" also captured my attention. 

The album was "Low" was released on January 14th 1977. It was originally supposed to be the soundtrack for the soon to be released "The Man who fell to Earth." Low is one of the earliest "electronic music" or "ambient" music albums. This was at a time when the synthesizer was was a new concept in music. Roxy Music's Brian Eno helped conceptualize the album, but did not produce it as most assume. This is another David Bowie album that just blew my mind. Apparently this album was a huge influence to bands like Kraftwerk and Nine Inch Nails, which makes since. While it doesn't sound like either it was unarguably ahead of it's time. It got mixed reviews, and as far as typical David Bowie work...I wouldn't describe this as such. This album recieved divided reviews (a B+) and has only gotten more appreciation and acclaim with time. 

Joy Divison's Ian Curtis loved David Bowie and modeled his first band "Warsaw" in reference to the song "Warsazwa" off of Low. They show that also in the movie "Control" about Ian Curtis the band's lead singer. I would describe the music on this album as "modern, ambient and dancey." It ranges from dancable songs to tunes that maybe you'd prefer to sit down with a bong to. I'd love to have this album, but I haven't got it yet. "Always crashing in the same car" track 5 is my favorite song. 


Both of these albums became soundtracks to my life at certain points is time. And both are definitely two of my favorite albums of all time.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused