Skip to main content

The Body Project, 8 years later

 The Body Project was one of the first books, if not the first to inspire me. In Junior college I was assigned to read many books, everything from Lance Armstrong's bio to Eli Witzel's holocaust survival book. But the one that hit me hardest in the gut was "The Body Project" by Joan Jacobs Brumberg. I grew up female and understood most of the peer pressure females felt, even if I didn't personally fall victim to it. This book was fantastic because it spanned from the Victorian era to the 60's to now. I couldn't put this book down, and I couldn't stop thinking. At the time I was also in a film production class. We were assigned to make a PSA, and I wanted mine to be about body image. The beauty in the music video that results is, a completely natural morning routine by a college age girl. I felt like the average girl experienced a lot of anxiety just picking out what to wear and how she looks.

TheBodyProject.com


 Again, I never felt this anxiety personally, but this book showed me how sad and prevalent it was. When I was a teenager I think my family thought the best way to "teach me how to be a girl" was to give me beauty magazines. Even at the time, I knew this was a horrible idea. At this point I was totally into rock and roll, so I wanted subscriptions to Rolling Stone and Spin. I would still flip through the magazines, Teen, YM, and Seventeen I can remember specifically. I think Teen People too. Is that even still around?? Anyways, they were full of obvious and dumb questions like "Will oral sex get me pregnant?" and "Is masturbation bad?" I found it a riot.

 Teen magazines and The Body Project book taught me a lot about the average female experience. My eyes were opened to the fact that we are still dealing with body issues to this day. So I decided to make this music video to convey the production women go through and that you should love yourself, pretty basic stuff. I set up the camera and allowed myself to feel anxiety about my body, really put it under a microscope and forget about the pending audience. I decided to use a David Bowie song I recently discovered, "Conversation Piece" it was great for 2 main reasons, fantastic lyrics and it's a little known DB song. I soon put the video on Internet Archive, I'm pretty sure this was before Youtube, or before I knew it existed. Later on I put it on Youtube.

 I got a great grade for this video, and my favorite part is it seems to elicit an emotional response. My video couldn't be presented because it had copyrighted music in it, but I was happy. The music helps make my music video, period.



 I don't really want to dissect the video, but essentially I wanted to send the message that "Your body is fine." There is so much to be said to loving yourself, and knowing yourself. My video currently has over 1,100 downloads on Internet Archive and over 26,000 views on Youtube. Neat! The Body Project is a fantastic book and I highly suggest it. It's historically important, and culturally significant. It made me understand that we need to have healthy role models for young girls, and they need to be feel like they have self worth. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused