Skip to main content

The End of Zune


 Let me start off by saying I am well aware I am one of the very few people who have and use a Microsoft Zune. That's why I think it's important to write this blog. I am a graphic designer and web developer, I grew up with computers, I know Mac, PC and more. But I make it pretty clear to those I know and work with that I strongly prefer Microsoft and PCs. More specifically I hate Apple. And even more than that, I believe when you buy a product you should do your research and buy what's best for you and not simply buy into the hype. That being said, I did my research when it came time to purchase an MP3 player. I first bought my Zune in 2005 and then an HD one 3 years later. I still use the Zune HD.

 Sometime in the last year or so, I received a letter and read an article about the fact that Zune is ending and they wont be making the devices anymore. This was not fun news for me. Music is my life, and my MP3 player feels like my life support. I often begin to freak out when the battery starts dying which I rarely let happen. I had my Zune HD when I heard the news which was still in great shape and has many capabilities and qualities that iPods don't. Just yesterday I read the news that the Zune Marketplace is going away for...evv...errrrr. This REALLY sucks, because I was enjoying the system Zune used with paying to essentially 'borrow' music. I am about to lose a large portion of my music collection.

 I get it, Zune lost the popularity contest. For years I've been getting made fun of for having a Zune. I was once robbed while walking home from a friends house...they didn't take my purse but they did steal my Zune. As soon as they saw that it wasn't an iPod and they dumbly didn't know how to use it, they through it back at me which I gladly and upsetly caught. It's actually worked to my favor more than you'd believe to have a Zune. Nobody knows what it is therefore they don't want it. That's fine with me!

 I love the Zune device and marketplace. I love how the Zune is better quality (it came out in HD before iPod's ever did) and more affordable than it's foe. I like that you can do more on it, it is more customizable, and the whole marketplace system is really diverse musically and cheap. Zune has colors and shows images of the band in an artistic manner as the track is playing. You can watch videos, get on the internet, listen to radio, podcasts and just plain have more options and control...as is the way of Microsoft products and NOT Apple. Hello expensive exclusivity and limitations!

 Goodbye Zune, I enjoyed the hell out of you. And to the 5 other people I've ever heard of or known who have a Zune, I salute you good people. Now it is time to look into a new MP3 player and system to adopt, but I do know one thing for sure....I am never, ever buying an iPod.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused