Skip to main content

The Recording Industry Association of America is on a take down notice spree

 Out of the blue I got a very formal sounding submission to my contact form from a rep from the Record Industry Association of America. It read as follows...

July 24, 2020 Dear Sir or Madam:

I am contacting you on behalf of the Recording Industry Association of America, Inc. (RIAA) and its member record companies. The RIAA is a trade association whose member companies create, manufacture and distribute approximately eighty-five (85) percent of all legitimate sound recordings sold in the United States. Under penalty of perjury, we submit that the RIAA is authorized to act on behalf of its member companies on matters involving the infringement of their sound recordings, including enforcing their copyrights and common law rights on the Internet, and including with respect to the copyrighted works identified below. 

We have learned that your service is operating and/or hosting the below-referenced infringing web site(s) on its network. These site(s) are offering files containing sound recordings which are owned by one or more of our member companies and have not been authorized for this kind of use, including without limitation those referenced at the URL(s) below. We have a good faith belief that this activity is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law. We assert that the information in this notification is accurate, based upon the data available to us.

We are asking for your immediate assistance in stopping this unauthorized activity. Specifically, we request that you remove the files from your system, including any mirrored or duplicate copies of those files, and/or that you disable all access to the infringing files and associated links, and that you inform the uploader/s and/or site operator(s), as applicable, of the illegality of his or her conduct.

We also ask that you consider the widespread and repeated infringing nature of the uploader(s) and/or site operator(s)' conduct (as applicable), and whether that conduct violates your terms of service and/or your company's repeat infringer policy.

This e-mail does not constitute a waiver of any right to recover damages incurred by virtue of any such unauthorized activities, and such rights as well as claims for other relief are expressly retained. In addition, our use of your service's required notice form, if applicable, is merely meant to facilitate removal of the infringing material listed below and is not meant to suggest or imply that your activities and services are within the scope of the DMCA safe harbor. You may contact me at RIAA, 1000 F Street NW, 2nd Floor, Washington, D.C. 20004, Tel. (202) 775-0101, or by e-mail at antipiracy@riaa.com, to discuss this notice. We await your response.


Sincerely,
Traci Crippen
Online Content Protection RIAA

 So as it turns out my old defunct podcast Rockast (which is still available on iTunes) contains "Don't fear the reaper" by the Blue Oyster Cult...and that's the problem. Each podcast had a theme and the song was a part of that theme. While this seems really random, legally speaking I suppose I'm in the wrong. I removed the file and wrote back to the provided email address. I have not heard back from them. Meanwhile I decided to do some googling and find out if this happened to others...and it did.



 RIAA shenanigans - Radio Clash podcast gets its first takedown - looks like Radio Clash Podcast had an almost identical situation to mine. There seems to be a pretty clear trend of the RIAA recently sending out copyright notices. For example my podcast ended 9 years ago; so it's been online for probably 10 years and only recently is this coming up. Apart from podcasts like mine and Radio Clash, the RIAA went after Github, making them remove their "Youtube-dl" software. As far as I can tell, it allowed users to download the youtube video/music track. I haven't actually used it before.

"The clear purpose of this source code is to (i) circumvent the technological protection measures used by authorized streaming services such as YouTube, and (ii) reproduce and distribute music videos and sound recordings owned by our member companies without authorization for such use. We note that the source code is described on GitHub as “a command-line program to download videos from YouTube.com and a few more sites." - The RIAA


 While this incident was a bit jarring for me, many are interpreting this as an "egregious abuse of the notice and take down system." Apparently youtube-dl doesn’t infringe on any RIAA copyrights. More info can be found here: RIAA Abuses DMCA to Take Down Popular Tool for Downloading Online Videos As for me I'm a small creator and taking down my old podcast is not a huge deal. Also it turns out GitHub reinstated youtube-dl after RIAA’s abuse of the DMCA so there's some good news on that front. Naturally it seems like there will only be more of this to come; especially for people who have music related podcasts. 

Have you got a notice from the RIAA?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused