Skip to main content

Launch of "TheGits.com" Official site!


I'm a pretty skeptical person who doesn't believe in fate or karma. But even I have to admit that sometimes life takes me by surprise. It's funny when things come full circle, or seem like they were meant to happen. That's how I feel about this website. I was contacted last month by a man who needed a band website done. A band I admittedly never heard of until our conversation. Boy did I feel dense for not knowing who they are until now. The band is The Gits. And I put their name into Google and Youtube and did the typical 21st century routine research. Their story and music affected me in a way I wasn't expecting.

The nice perk on working with bands...free swag!

 I do a lot of band websites and typically they are not my cup of tea (for example I'm not too jazzed to do a rap artists site), sometimes it's just work. Having to make a thorough website on the band, I inadvertently became a fan...and what feels like an authority on the band. I  was given original photographs of The Gits, and Mia Zapata their singer back in the day to scan in for the site. Handwritten lyrics by Mia Zapata. That blows my mind, I have something that belongs in a museum in MY home.

Handwritten "Absynthe" lyrics by Mia Zapata
 I scanned a lot of pictures myself, I even wore gloves because I didn't want to fudge *anything* up. (Yeah, I'm a weirdo). But that is sort of symbolic I think of the kind of care and detail I took with this website project. And the level of respect I have for everyone involved. Along the way I learned a lot about this band, heard a lot of great behind the scenes music information. Totally makes me think of "Rock and Roll High School" when the Ramones manager says to Riff "This is the big time girly, this is rock and roll."



 So that's what I've been so busy doing recently. I've been 'creatively pregnant' as my friend put it. And it's...a website! Check out Gitsfans.com Lots of never before seen videos and photographs and soon to be articles!

 There's a lot of exciting stuff going on at the new website; like a Gits fan video contest, and we already have a few amazing submissions! We also have Gits hoodies available for pre-order!

 Doing the website has reminded me of how strongly people connect to music. Not that I didn't already know what that's like and experience it on a daily basis...but there's something very humbling about realizing you're not alone. That we all suffer and we all experience joy. And that there's something about the Gits music that touches you deep down inside.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What happened to Hot Topic?

You got it wrong. It goes 'sex, drugs and rock n roll'  Hot Topic emerged when I was just starting my Freshman year in high school. Growing up in suburbia sucked for a lot of reasons. One big reason being that there really were not any record stores, rock t-shirt shops or head shops in the area. I actually made my own rock t shirts for years, using stencils to spell out things like "The Beatles" and t-shirt iron-ons. You had to get creative and in many ways it was teenage DIY at it's best.  I was introduced to Hot Topic the same way every bored suburban kid did...by going to the mall. When you live in the suburbs, all there really is to do is to visit the mall. And I did a lot of that in my youth. When I discovered Hot Topic I was pretty pleased and I could finally find shirts that said "Blondie" or "The Ramones" on it and I didn't have to make it myself. I was excited to find a store that sold so much of what I liked.  Not long

Music posers

Ever see a girl in a rock t shirt who just doesn't look like she knows who they are? Have you ever been out in public, and spotted a person wearing a rock and roll t-shirt? Every time I do, which is if they're 12 feet or less away, I have to say something about it. That something would be "Yay! I love (insert band)! What's your favorite album?" Well, sometimes when I ask that question, I get a response I don't expect... *Blank expression* "I'm not really a fan of (insert band), I just like the shirt." My heart sinks. And then I want to punch them. This happened just yesterday. I was visiting my local pot club ( Berkeley Patients Group , woop woop) and I immediately spotted a girl wearing a Beatles shirt. I shouldn't even have to inform you how much I love rock music, so I can't help but mention it. I also feel like this is an obvious potential friend! I said to her "Yea the Beatles rock! Niiice!" And sh

We need to talk about this: The Foo Fighters are "AIDS denialists"

Preface: I am a fan of the Foo Fighters' music, so this isn't intended to be a hit piece. I genuinely feel troubled by what I'm about to share with you in this blog entry. I had no idea about this until just days ago.  Recently I saw a video that addressed celebrities with controversial beliefs. The one that stood out to me was Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters being "AIDS denialists" (which I didn't even know was a thing?) aka "HIV Truthers". I immediately had to look into this because it sounded just too crazy to be real (and you should ALWAYS be skeptical of things you hear and do. your. research.) An article that I felt was very thorough on the topic was " Foo Fighters, HIV Deniers " "Maggiore’s message has apparently penetrated the minds of at least some Foo aficionados. She says she has heard from many Foo fans since the show — one of whom, she says, now works at the Alive and Well office.  “AIDS is a toxic disease caused